Now Hiring: Artistic Director
Jet City Improv (JCI), a nonprofit organization founded in 1992 as Wing-It Productions, is seeking an entrepreneurial and visionary Artistic Director to partner with the Managing Director to guide JCI, a recognized leader in both the Seattle Improv arts community and the national Improv theater scene. The Artistic Director is responsible for developing, coordinating and facilitating all artistic programming at JCI and providing on-going training and opportunities for artistic growth among all constituencies, including performers, staff and patrons.
Jet City Improv is an Improv theater company in Seattle, Washington, dedicated to entertaining, educating and enlightening audiences of all ages through the art of Improv.
JCI has three areas of programming; Productions, Education and Outreach.
JCI performs over 400 shows every year which weekly include its flagship shows, Jet City Improv and Twisted Flicks, and original long-form improvised plays. JCI is nationally known as a leader in improvisational theater. We are also the foremost improv teaching organization in the Pacific Northwest, offering improv classes for adults and children, and corporate training.
At the heart of JCI is our Outreach Programs which include teaching improv skills to homeless, at-risk and incarcerated youth, as well as providing free improv shows at summer camps for children dealing with life altering illness and conditions. Outreach Programs are supported by donations and, to a great extent, by its productions.
Jet City Improv does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, actors, technicians, board members and everyone associated with this organization.
VISION AND LEADERSHIP
- Lead the company with an artistic vision, working with the board to ensure artistic quality, using the mission as the guiding force
- Provide opportunities to share ideas and goals with the company (quarterly, etc)
- Strategically plan and manage all programming at JCI
- Develop a season of Jet City Improv Presents based on Company pitches
- Provide on-going notes and direction for all programming, foster and encourage the continued growth and development of artistic excellence with JCI, including the development of the core company through training and mentorship
- Be the ambassador and liaison to the larger community in promoting JCI and an advocate for JCI outside of our theater.
- Attend networking meetings and events
- Represent JCI in public forums
- Be an advocate for JCI in the community
- Create strategic partnerships and programming with partners
- Ensure that JCI has a ‘space at the table’ in the community
- Provide a vision for Patrons to support
- Lead patron and donor strategies
- Attend patron cultivation events
- Develop new donors and manage Patron relationships
- Manage patron education and events that help cultivate and deepen Patron involvement (talkbacks, etc.)
- Work with the Educational Coordinator to develop programs, set syllabus material, train educators and facilitate the smooth operation of the Education department.
- Develop, market and contract corporate team-building strategies
- Work with the Production Director and the Managing Director to develop production budgets
JCI’s ideal Artistic Director candidate will have extensive experience, knowledge and skill in theater, both Improvisational and scripted, as well as experience in nonprofit management. Experience in small theater arts organizations highly preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Fine Arts, Theatre, Improvisation, or a related field OR a combination of education and experience amounting to a minimum of 3 years of working in a similar setting, 5 years preferred
- Must have the drive and strength to be the vision of leadership for the organization, demonstrating humility, decisiveness, problem solving skills, imagination, honesty and artistry in words and actions.
- Must demonstrate effective management skills that align with artistic values.
- Must be willing to be the conduit for JCI outside of the theater for the community, funders, agencies and arts leaders.
- An open, honest communicator with ability to identify and mediate issues and concerns
- Demonstrate success in team-building and collaboration
- Agile approach to problem-solving and solution-building
- Comfortable with Microsoft Office, Salesforce or related donor management database.
- Celebrate creativity and maintain a good sense of humor
In this position, there is occasional use and operation of miscellaneous equipment and furnishings as tasks and projects require, occasional lifting of up to 20 pounds, and standard computer use. Office access includes stairs. Some evenings and weekends are required.
To apply, send a resume and a cover letter addressing why you are interested in a professional management position with an arts organization and how your skills and experience will benefit Jet City Improv to ADsearch@jetcityimprov.org by July 28, 2017. Please, no phone calls.